[West-Sahara] antwoord van Fugro

fwillems op antenna.nl fwillems op antenna.nl
Di Dec 31 16:38:00 CET 2019

Fugro is een Nederlands bedrijf dat gegevens over bodemschatten op aarde
verzamelt en heeft onder andere als onderaannemer van Kerr-McGee
onderzoek verricht naar de aanwezigheid van olie in West-Sahara. Na
onderzoek dor het schip Fugro Gauss voor de kust van Dakhla stelden we
vragen. Hieronder het antwoord van Fugro:
* Het werk was niet voor onderzoek naar olie maar vanwege de aanleg van
een internet-kabel.
* Men heeft contact gezocht met RASD.
* Fugro stelt een ultimatum voor het aanpassen van de WSRW website op 31
december.

  ------------------

Dear Ms Eyckmans and Mr Hagen,

With reference to your e-mails dated 24 and 25 December 2019, we inform
you that, unlike you have suggested in your publications, Fugro has not
changed its policy on Western Sahara, nor did Fugro try to “hide” any of
its activities in this region or otherwise. On the contrary, Fugro has
been very open/transparent and respectfully contacted the Saharawi
Authorities twice (via its agent Pelagian) in an early stage about this
proposed project, however, despite these two attempts, no reply was ever
received.

Also, the survey services Fugro is providing do not relate in any way to
seismic services for the oil industry or other natural resources (you
will note that September of 2012, Fugro divested its seismic business).

Western Sahara included on Fugro’s restricted territories list

Please be further informed that Fugro maintains an updated list of
countries/territories where restrictions are in place in relation to (1)
sanctions programmes that have been imposed and/or (2) prevailing
political, commercial or security conditions in that country or
territory. Any work in countries or territories included on this list
must follow a mandatory procedure to obtain Board of Management and/or
General Counsel approval prior to the relevant Fugro subsidiary being
able to confirm an intention to tender, submit proposals, enter into
contracts or deploy resources and before giving any indication of
Fugro's willingness to consider work in these countries/regions to
external parties.

Western Sahara was and is included on Fugro’s restricted territories
list and prior to commencing work on this project a thorough review was
performed as set out below.

Telecommunication Cable project

Fugro was requested to perform survey services for a Telecommunication
Cable project which includes multiple territories and jurisdictions.

After thorough analysis Fugro decided that this survey project can be
performed as:

    This project does not relate in any way to the exploration and
exploitation of natural resources in Western Sahara.
    Nor does this project relate to exploitation activities, which are
socially and environmentally destructive for the environment and people
of Western Sahara.
    The Saharawi people and other people of Africa will benefit from
this Telecommunication Cable project as a vital telecommunications
infrastructure will become available which will result in better welfare
for the African people (including Saharawi).
    Fugro conducts its business to the highest ethical standards (incl.
respecting human rights, respecting the rights of others etc.). As such,
the Fugro Code of Conduct and Supplier Business Code form an integral
part of the Telecommunication Cable contract and any contract with
subcontractors (if any).
    Our project teams have followed thorough Code of Conduct training to
make sure that human rights are protected and respected in their day to
day operations.
    Under the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea and in line
with good practice, Fugro notified the Saharawi authorities (twice) in
an early stage about the proposed project. In October and November 2019,
the Saharawi authorities were informed in detail about the proposed
Telecommunication Cable project and the (limited) scope of the survey
services of Fugro in Western Sahara but both times failed to respond.

The above thorough analysis that was performed as well as Fugro’s timely
and conscientious efforts to contact the Saharawi authorities both
clearly represent Fugro’s honest and transparent approach and way of
working. Fugro is very disappointed in the way WSRW prematurely and
slanderously acted in their publications on the 24th and 25th of
December and the false accusations made towards Fugro. As such Fugro
requests WSRW to immediately withdraw the accusations made and rectify
these on their website ultimately by close of business on the 31st of
December 2019. Fugro reserves all in rights in relation to the above.

Best regards,

Mark Heine

CEO

Fugro

> On 26 Dec 2019, at 10:27, Erik Hagen <erik op vest-sahara.no> wrote:
>

> Dear Mr. Heine
> Thank you for your emails confirming the receipt of our correspondence.
> We take note of the fact that you are taking this seriously. Based on
your clear message, we have temporarily removed the reference to our
letters from our website. We will reconstruct the article once we hear
from you again, within a week from 24 December.

> Looking forward to hearing from you again.
>
> Erik Hagen
> Board member, WSRW

<m.langerak op fugro.com>, nl op wsrw.org <nl op wsrw.org>, Buttingha Wichers,
Catrien van <c.vanbuttingha op fugro.com>, media op fugro.com <media op fugro.com>

> Dear Mr Hagen,
>
> In addition to my message to confirm the receipt of your email and
questions yesterday, I would like to inform you that I have noticed the
message / article on your website. Please take note that this article
consists of wrong accusations towards Fugro. Once again, I strongly
recommend you to withhold your judgement or publish something before
Fugro had the chance to properly respond to your letters and questions.
I take these matters including any communication around this very seriously.