[Vredeslijst] Ander Nieuws: laatste bericht

Jeff meisner op xs4all.nl
Di Jun 5 18:59:29 CEST 2018

Thank you for this useful list of resources.

I would like to point out that the very first site on the list (only
because of alphabetization) Antiwar.com is in fact a right-wing
organization. They openly admit that fact:
     https://www.antiwar.com/who.php

Probably the only reason that they would ever have come to our attention
is that their strategy involves orienting toward those on the left (as
they admit in the above statement) with a certain antiwar message that
ignores the opposite motivation that the left and some rightwing sources
have for opposing the same wars (for us, solidarity with the victims of
imperialist war; for the right, seeing these wars as "mistakes" that
will weaken the imperialist states that foolishly undertake them).

There has always been a segment of the far-right that opposes
imperialist wars, but these were separate from the anti-war movements
that protested in the streets. They did not pose a problem for us
because they were rather distinct and unimportant, and they certainly
were not present among the leadership of the antiwar movements.
Unfortunately that changed with the Arab Spring, and now they have made
themselves (and their rhetoric) largely indistinguishable from the
progressive antiwar leadership. For instance, Patrick Buchanan (one of
the featured writers on Antiwar.com) is a far-right racist (or fascist)
who worked for Nixon and Reagan; he has opposed almost all American
military actions in the last 40 years, but of course for very wrong
reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Pat_Buchanan#Foreign_policy

There are some other sites listed among these resources that have
objectionable content. Given the blurring of lines, they unwittingly or
recklessly print "antiwar" pieces from rightists (as we also find some
leftists published in Antiwar.com, RT, and Sputnick) which feeds into
the toxic notion of the so-called Red-Brown alliance or Querfront.
However only Antiwar.com is directly controlled by the right wing among
the list supplied by Ander Nieuws (as far as I know).

For information over Syria, I will later supply a (small) list of sites
which do not support the counter-revolution.

- Jeff